Dear everyone,
Its blog time again!!
Man! So much to talk about! Okay so, last week was
Supervisor visit, and this week we were back on retreat. Its been a crazy week,
my Co team leader was out, so it was me and the rest of the time trying to do
all the retreats. Everything went fine, but man we really missed him.
I guess I should start from the top. Supervisor visit was so
much fun! It was very relaxing for me. I guess something you all should know is
that I am one of 2 team leaders for the road team. We make all of the contact
with the host homes and with the teachers at the schools, basically any
decisions that need to be made about where we are going or what we are doing
that is what Christophe and I handle. So when we went on supe visit, he and I
were officially off duty. It was so nice just to sit and chill and enjoy the
ride and not have to answer any questions.
But as far a Supe visit is concerned its really just a whole
bunch of fun. We started off the week with a scavenger hunt which was a ton of
fun. It was a photo scavenger hunt with a list of 28 ridiculous things that we
had to accomplish and take pictures of. The one that was my favorite was title
“wow I can’t believe our whole team fits here!”
…. all I’m going to say is it was a ton of fun. J If you look really
closely you can see my head in the bottom front window of the phone booth. Yes,
Ireland does still have phone booths. We had another one that was really fun,
and it was “have everyone on team make a
funny face” – a small explanation we had a team member that wasn’t feeling well
that day, and so we had to do most of the scavenger hunt with out her. (I don’t
think we could have fit another person in that phone booth, anyway) But anyways, we decided to wait to finish
that one so that she could be in at least one of the pictures, but when we got
to the house she was still asleep!
(picture)
Clearly that was not an obstacle.
The rest of that week was full of meetings and good times
spent together. We got to carve pumpkins as a team and good times were had by
all J
(picture)
But after the week off we were ready to hit the road again.
We had 5 retreats this week. We had 2 all boys 3rd years, one 5th
& 6th year girls retreat, and then 2 4th year
(Transition Year) retreats on Thursday and Friday. The school system is very
different here. Primary school is until the age of 11 then secondary school
starts and is classified by “year”, so it would be “first year” or “5th
year”. 4th year is also called transition year, and it is optional
for all Irish kids. They kids here have to take a Leaving Certification Test in
6th year (age 18), that if they pass it, it signifies the end of
their secondary schooling and then they are free to apply to university. Its
pretty different from the states, but once you understand it, everything is
grand.
All of the retreats were really good, and very fruitful and
spirit filled. It was a real blessing as it always is to get to spend time with
the kids.
We have spent the majority of this week with a host family
that graciously decided to host 7 out of 9 of us (because Christophe is gone
right now). They are a beautiful family, and they treat all of us like we are
their own children. It’s really been quite a humbling experience living at the
mercy of other people, essentially.
This week during Hood time I had my first experience of
Eddie Rockets, which apparently is a big thing in Canada and Ireland, and it
might be in the United States, but I haven’t heard of it. Either way, they have
delicious milkshakes and really nice chips. J
I have to go for now, but I have cool things to tell you! We visited Glendalough (pronounced Glen-da-lock) but I will have to tell you about it next blog!
WHAT A CLIFFHANGER!!!
PTL! :)
- Annie
Yayyy! I've been looking forward to your next post :) it was so great! Can't wait for the next one! Love and miss you!
ReplyDeleteAAAHHH I HATE CLIFFHANGERS! Good thing it's already been posted :)
ReplyDeletehaha!! I can't wait to hear more!!! yay! love you and am praying for you sister!!!! bah!!! you are so great and murhur i love you :)
ReplyDelete